Default Tester

Help people get better with video games. Donate to Childs Play for karma achievements.

Great question. If I only had one video I could play it would be this.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Issue: Games: Resuscitate


Yuppie Psycho is a game about congruence.

I never much cared about ageism till I got old. To be honest I don't know what old means, closest I can figure old to be is how other people feel about you. Old in relation to the objective, as it is. I call myself old because I decided to work in the video game industry, where if you are not between 22 - 28 you might as well be a bag of bones.

I started working in the game industry at 26 and I am knock-knock-knocking on 40's door so I have pretty much been the walking dead this whole time. My saving grace from redundancy was never having any form of life. Ain't got no kids, ain't got no mortgage, ain't got no, etc... This allows you to sit in a chair for 100 hours a week and not be letting anyone besides yourself down. Even in the salad days the 19-year-olds dubbed me "The old man" thanks to my penchant for curmudgeondom.

It's a shitty feeling to know that the clock is ticking on the thing you love to do. I never thought how terrible it must feel to be an actor that knows the roles will stop, an athlete that knows the cheers will die down, and the systems engineer that knows the workplaces will stop calling just because of a set of numbers on a cv instead of how well they do the thing. Such is life.

I guess I am thinking about this because Bud Light is peddling awful beer to children. I mean, it's ageist on my part to assume kids shouldn't be exposed to alcohol advertisements. It's presumptuous on my part to assume that the Overwatch audience skews young. Why not cannabis advertisements? Why not guns? Whoever can pay the bill should be able to decide what the audience is ready to see, and if no one speaks out, then what has been paid for is ok.

I am presenting such an old person argument here. It's not like a beer company is sponsoring Fortnight, which is obviously for children. It's not like Fortnite was featured in a major film centered around a drinking subplot. It's not like anyone gives a damn about this issue. Let's not kid ourselves.

Anyway, apologies are in order. It wasn't Stavros it was the other VV guy. My bad. No, I am not afraid to say I am union, I am afraid you will say I am and that you aren't. Hide if you want. Also, rip TB rip TC rip Tall-T. Love is blind hate is blackout drunk, get out there and do great things we got your back, also jerbz.

The Protoculture Mixtape: Issue:  Renovate

Blog Archive