Default Tester

Help people get better with video games. Donate to Childs Play for karma achievements.

Great question. If I only had one video I could play it would be this.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Issue : Games : 4xA



Triple A has been hanging around the gaming-sphere forever as the jargon of choice when referring to video games of a certain stature, but I am just going to come out and say I have no idea what it  means in this life right now.

I have known it to be different things at different times. At one time I thought it to be a game that is universally enjoyed, then I thought it to be a game that was guaranteed to make money, then I thought it to be a game that cost a certain amount of money to make.

Today I believe it to be a thing developers call their game in order to make people believe it to be on a certain tier of gaming, when that tier doesn't actually exist anymore, or is crumbling beneath them. I get it, sell up, and all of that. I ain't mad at'cha. But what of games that continue in replay value for 10 plus years, spawn their own economies and jobs in and out of gaming, and enter the mainstream zeitgeist. Is there a name for that? Quadruple A? 

Gaming tier systems are broken, no, maybe evolving. Cheap games make more money than expensive games, mods can bring games back to life, and simply presenting a title to be of a certain tier does not seem to make people believe it's important anymore, if numbers are to be any indication of success or failure. And I am starting to think that's a good thing.

Blog Archive